- Monday 7 October 2013

Inspiring Photography, W Eugene Smith


W. Eugene Smith, 

in his own lifetime, became one of photography’s legendary figures. He was, undeniably, one of the worlds greatest photojournalists (in the opinion of many). He was a photographer of technical competence matched by very few and his consummate skill in the darkroom makes an original Gene Smith print a work of art in itself, over and above the skill and insight that went into the actual taking of the picture.

A Walk To Paradise Garden - 1946 


The spinner - Eugene Smith - 1950
 Finally, and most important, Smith was fanatically dedicated to his mission as a photographer. His passion for truth invariably places the integrity of the picture far above such matters as monetary gain or personal safety. As a result of this dedication, Smith was a figure universally admired as an artist.


I think that basically all of my photographs are failures… I’m not saying that as a self negation or anything like that, I just don’t judge it upon it upon how “good” it was, but rather upon how I’d fail upon what I was trying to say… I think this “Tomoko in her Bath”[above] personally is the best photograph I ever made, it came to say what I was trying to say…” 


The belief, the try, a camera and some film – the fragile weapons of my good intentions. With these I fought war.” 



Always known as a photographer who would take almost any chance if it meant getting the picture, Gene Smith’s good luck throughout the Pacific deserted him on May 23, 1945. While on the east coast of Okinawa photographing an essay titled "A Day in the Life of a Front Line Soldier," he was seriously wounded by a Japanese shell fragment.  



The missile hit him in the head cutting both cheeks, injuring his tongue and knocking out several teeth. Characteristically, he was taking pictures at the time and the fragment passed through his left hand before entering his cheek just below the eye and near the nose. His comment in the hospital later: "I forgot to duck but I got a wonderful shot of those who did... my policy of standing up when the others are down finally caught up with me."
When I look at Smith’s work I don’t see a man who hated the world and tried to escape from it by drinking and taking drugs. I see a man who hated the values of the world and tried to correct them. I think Smith understood people, but didn’t understand how he as a person fit into the world.




Recommended:
An Eugene Smith memorial found and awards: http://smithfund.org/

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts